From a quick look at the Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) web site you can learn that in Eastern Massachusetts:
- One in ten members of our community is at risk of hunger.
- Hunger is not a problem facing just those in poverty - it is also a challenge faced by working- and middle-class neighbors.
- 1 in 3 at risk are children.
- 1 in 5 at risk are seniors.
- 72% of the households served need to use a food pantry on a regular basis to have enough to eat.
Yes, these essential statistics of hunger are important to know and to understand. But each week while we are working to address the situation spelled out by these GBFB numbers we are reminded hunger is about more than statistics - hunger is about real people.