Spring is here at last and our volunteers seem to be more than happy about the change in the weather for the better. The pantry depends on them and certainly appreciates the smiles and hard work!
Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Friday, March 10, 2017
From a quick look at the Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) web site you can learn that in Eastern Massachusetts:
- One in ten members of our community is at risk of hunger.
- Hunger is not a problem facing just those in poverty - it is also a challenge faced by working- and middle-class neighbors.
- 1 in 3 at risk are children.
- 1 in 5 at risk are seniors.
- 72% of the households served need to use a food pantry on a regular basis to have enough to eat.
Yes, these essential statistics of hunger are important to know and to understand. But each week while we are working to address the situation spelled out by these GBFB numbers we are reminded hunger is about more than statistics - hunger is about real people.
Friday, February 24, 2017
Typical? Yes it was cold. Yes there were blizzard conditions and we had to cancel food distribution one week. Of course 63° yesterday was not so typical. But the assistance we received from friends and family during school vacation week was exactly the "typical" dedicated effort that allows the pantry to continue its support to our neighbors in need. So yes, all things considered, a typical February for which we are very thankful.